Bell Mirror & Glass, Inc.
1702 S. Seneca Street, Wichita, KS 67213
- Julius Caesar was the first person to establish January 1st as the New Year. When the Julian calendar was made, New Year's day was officially named.
- Black eyed peas are consumed throughout the country on New Year's Eve as they are thought to bring good fortune.
- Auld Land Syne was written in the 1700's and is sung as the clock strikes mid-night on new Year's Eve.
- The New York City Times Square ball was originally made of wood. Present day, it is made of Waterford Crystal and weighs over one thousand pounds.
- The most common resolution is, you guessed it, to lose weight.
- The month of January was named after the god Janus (Latin for door). Janus is a god with 2 faces. One face is looking forward while the other backwards.
- In Italy, people wear red underwear on New Year's Eve as a symbol of good fortune.
For more fun facts about New Year's Eve, click here! Bell Mirror and Glass would like to wish everyone a happy and safe New Year! May 2014 bring you nothing but good fortune!